As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Learn More
We’ve all been there – the excitement of changing your hair color, followed by the shock of seeing your hair turn a bright and unwanted shade of orange. Fear not, because this article will guide you through the process of using Wella T18 toner to neutralize that brassy, orange hair and achieve a more flattering and desired hair color. We’ll discuss what Wella T18 toner is, how it works, and the dramatic before-and-after results you can expect when using it on orange hair.
What is Wella T18 Toner?
Wella T18 Toner, also known as Wella Color Charm T18 Lightest Ash Blonde, is a professional hair toner specifically formulated to neutralize unwanted warm tones in your hair. Its primary purpose is to remove brassiness and yellow-orange hues, transforming your hair into a cooler, ashier blonde. Wella T18 is a popular choice among hairstylists and at-home users due to its efficacy in creating an even, natural-looking blonde on lightened hair.
Related: Can Black People Have Straight Hair
Why Does Hair Turn Orange?
Before we dive into the world of Wella T18, it’s essential to understand why hair turns orange in the first place. When you lighten your hair with bleach or a high-lift dye, you’re stripping away the natural pigments, revealing the underlying warm tones. These warm tones can range from red to orange, depending on the hair’s starting color and how much pigment has been removed.
For those who have naturally dark hair, it’s more challenging to achieve a cool, ashy blonde without encountering some orange hues along the way. This is because dark hair contains more red and orange pigments, which become exposed during the lightening process.
How Does Wella T18 Toner Work?
Wella T18 toner works by depositing violet-blue pigments onto the hair shaft, which helps to neutralize the warm, orange tones. This toner is specifically designed for use on hair that has been pre-lightened to a pale yellow, as this is the ideal base for an ash blonde color. When applied correctly, Wella T18 will leave your hair with a beautiful, cool-toned, and natural-looking light ash blonde shade.
Related: Layered Vs Non Layered Hair
Before Using Wella T18 Toner: Preparing Your Hair
To achieve the best results with Wella T18, you’ll first need to pre-lighten your hair to a pale yellow color. If your hair is currently orange, it’s essential to lighten it further before using the toner. You can achieve this by using bleach or a high-lift dye, following the manufacturer’s instructions for proper application and processing times.
It’s important to note that over-processing your hair can lead to damage, so it’s essential to monitor the condition of your hair during the lightening process. If you’re unsure how to proceed, consider consulting with a professional hairstylist to ensure you achieve the desired results without compromising the health of your hair.
Applying Wella T18 Toner: Step-by-Step Guide
Once your hair has been lightened to a pale yellow, you’re ready to apply Wella T18 toner. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you achieve the perfect ash blonde:
- Prepare the Toner Mixture: Mix the Wella T18 toner with a 20-volume developer in a 1:2 ratio (e.g., 1 part toner to 2 parts developer). This will provide the necessary lift to deposit the toner effectively.
- Apply the Toner: Begin by sectioning your hair into four equal parts for easier application. Wearing gloves, apply the toner mixture to your hair, starting at the roots and working your way down to the ends. Make sure to saturate each section thoroughly to ensure even coverage.
- Process the Toner: Allow the toner to process for the recommended time, typically between 15 to 30 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on your hair during this time, as leaving the toner on for too long can result in over-toning or a blueish hue.
- Check the Results: After the recommended processing time, check the results by wiping a small section of hair with a damp cloth. If the desired shade has not been achieved, continue to process the toner for an additional 5-10 minutes, checking the results every 5 minutes until you reach the desired ash blonde shade.
- Rinse and Condition: Once you’ve achieved the perfect ash blonde color, rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water. Follow up with a deep conditioning treatment or a color-safe conditioner to replenish moisture and help seal in the toner. Avoid using shampoos that contain sulfates, as they can strip the toner from your hair and cause the color to fade more quickly.
Related: Wella T14 Before And After
Wella T18 Toner: Before and After Results
The dramatic results achieved by using Wella T18 toner on orange hair can be truly transformative. Before the application, hair may appear brassy, with strong orange and yellow tones. After using Wella T18, hair is transformed into a cool, ashy blonde with a natural-looking finish.
Many users have reported significant improvement in the overall appearance of their hair after using Wella T18, with a noticeable reduction in brassiness and a more even, polished look. By neutralizing the warm tones, the toner helps to create a more flattering shade that complements a wide range of skin tones and enhances the hair’s overall appearance.
Maintaining Your Ash Blonde Hair
To keep your ash blonde hair looking its best, it’s essential to follow a proper hair care routine. Here are some tips to help you maintain your cool-toned blonde:
- Use a Purple Shampoo: Incorporate a purple shampoo into your hair care routine once or twice a week to neutralize any warm tones that may start to reappear over time. The purple pigment in the shampoo works to counteract brassiness, keeping your ash blonde looking fresh and cool-toned.
- Deep Condition Regularly: Lightened hair can become dry and brittle, so it’s important to nourish your hair with a deep conditioning treatment at least once a week. This will help to restore moisture and prevent breakage.
- Limit Heat Styling: Excessive heat styling can cause color-treated hair to become damaged and fade more quickly. Try to minimize the use of heat styling tools and always use a heat protectant spray when necessary.
- Schedule Regular Touch-Ups: As your hair grows, you’ll need to touch up your roots to maintain a consistent ash blonde color. Depending on how fast your hair grows, plan to touch up your roots every 4-6 weeks.
Wella T18 toner is an effective solution for neutralizing unwanted orange and brassy tones in lightened hair. With proper application and maintenance, you can transform your hair into a stunning, cool-toned ash blonde that looks natural and flattering. By following the tips and advice outlined in this article, you’ll be well on your way to taming the orange and enjoying your new, gorgeous hair color.