As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Learn More
Not all hair scalps are created equal. Some are lathered up with any hair care product or shampoo without any negative side effects. However, other scalps are sensitive and are easily irritated by specific strong shampoos. If you have a highly sensitive scalp, you may find it difficult to utilize certain products on your hair as they contain ingredients that may end up irritating your scalp.
In this article, we will highlight the top 10 best Shampoos for Sensitive Scalps. These shampoos are made with special ingredients like lavender and aloe Vera, which will stop itchiness while moisturizing your hair. Let’s get started.
Our Top Picks
|Best Paraben-Free: Kerastase Specifique Bain Vital Dermo-Calm Shampoo||Price on Amazon|
|Best For All Hair Types: Neutrogena Gentle & Soft Healthy Scalp Shampoo||Price on Amazon|
|Best For Normal Hair: Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Shampoo||Price on Amazon|
|Best For Curly Hair: Aveeno Rose Water & Chamomile Blen Shampoo||Price on Amazon|
|Best For Dry Hair: Tree To Tub Fragrance Free Shampoo||Price on Amazon|
|Best For Fine Hair: Garnier Whole Blends Gentle Shampoo||Price on Amazon|
|Best Clarifying Formula: TheraNeem Scalp Therapy Shampoo||Price on Amazon|
|Best Fragrance-Free: CLn Gentle Shampoo for Sensitive Scalp||Price on Amazon|
|Best For Sensitive Skin: Vanicream Free & Clear Hair Shampoo||Price on Amazon|
|Best For Color Treated Hair: Earth Science Shampoo for Sensitive Hair||Price on Amazon|
Top 10 Shampoos For Sensitive Scalp In 2023
1. Best Paraben-Free: Kerastase Specifique Bain Vital Dermo-Calm Shampoo
Perfect for dehydrated hair and sensitive scalps, this Dermo-Calm Shampoo by Kerastase assists to completely cleanse without causing dryness or irritation.
It is made with Calophyllum Oil that assists in calming inflammation and irritations of the scalp. This soothing and purifying shampoo is free from Silicon. It is blended with Glycerol that helps relax, moisturize, and soften the scalp.
It does not cause build-up in the hair making it ideal for use every day. It will keep your scalp, comfortable, calm, and healthy. Other than that, it is designed to protect your scalp from external aggressions.
The formula is made of natural ingredients that are safe for all hair types, including keratin, color, and chemically treated hair. It is going to remove all those mineral build-ups while leaving your hair lightweight and clean.
Related: Best Hot Air Brushes
- Blended with glycerol to soften, relax and moisturize the scalp
- Leaves scalp calm and hair light
- It has Calophyllum oil to calm inflammations and irritations of the scalp
- It is a soothing and purifying shampoo for sensitive scalps
- Dermatologist-tested and hypoallergenic
- Protects the scalp from external aggressions
2. Best For All Hair Types: Neutrogena Gentle & Soft Healthy Scalp Shampoo
This Healthy Scalp Shampoo will keep your hair scalp comfortable and hydrated after you wash your hair. It is a Non-drying formula that will assist in maintaining the scalp natural barrier.
Typically, this shampoo is a soft shampoo that will gently cleanse your hair without stripping. It will provide lightweight moisture to strands when it is cleansing.
The shampoo has Micellar Water that is well known to remove debris, sebum, and dirt leaving your scalp and hair refreshed. It is a gentle shampoo free from sulfated surfactants, phthalates, parabens, SLES, and SLS.
This product is suitable for all hair types such as curly, wavy, and straight hair. It is also safe even for color-treated hair. It works by balancing the pH levels ensuring that your scalp is not irritated.
- Gently cleanses without stripping the hair
- Suitable for all hair types such as curly, wavy, and straight hair
- Free from parabens, sulfated surfactants, and phthalates
- Formulated for sensitive scalp
- Help remove dirt, debris, and sebum leaving scalp and hair refreshed
- Provides lightweight and gentle moisture to strands
3. Best For Normal Hair: Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Shampoo
Perfect for damaged and dry hair, this Shampoo will remove hard water mineral build-up and dirt from the scalp. It is safe for chemically treated hair, keratin, and colored hair.
It is formulated with a superior mix of vitamins, botanical extracts, and essential oils that are perfect for imparting shiny, strong, and gorgeous hair.
The shampoo is made with balanced pH levels that help to leave your hair glossier and stronger. You can use this shampoo daily and it will leave you with a strong and healthy scalp and manageable hair.
The Scalp Rescue Shampoo is free from parabens, sulfates, TEA, DEA, silicones, ethoxylated ingredients, and propylene glycol.
Its proprietary herbal infusion and traditional Botanics help to treat itching, flaking, and dry scalps often caused by psoriasis, dandruff, and seborrheic dermatitis.
- It suits all hair types and is ideal for washing your hair daily
- Has a superior mix of vitamins, botanical extracts, and essential oils
- Made with perfect PH level leaving your hair glossier and stronger
- Free from sulfates, silicones, parabens, TEA, and DEA
- Leaves you with a strong, healthy scalp and manageable hair
4. Best For Curly Hair: Aveeno Rose Water & Chamomile Blen Shampoo
This super gentle Scalp Soothing Shampoo will keep your hair shiny and moisturized. It is included with an Oat ingredient that is perfect for scalp softening and soothing.
The shampoo is also infused with farm-fresh chamomile and rosewater, making gentle cleansing easy even for sensitive skin.
This sensitive scalps shampoo will soft bounce and gently cleanse your hair from root to tip. Its fresh blend of ingredients usually works together to enhance your hair’s natural beauty while promoting a healthy scalp environment.
It is a Sulfate-free conditioner and shampoo, free from parabens and dyes making it ideal for all hair types.
This shampoo is one of the best for itchy and dry scalps. It will help to calm and soothe irritation and you will love it as it will leave a longer treatment. It can also be put to work in the face, body, and scalp applications.
- Has Oat ingredients for scalp softening and soothing
- It’s free from Sulfate, parabens, and dyes
- Infused with chamomile and rosewater for gentle cleansing sensitive skin
- Safe for all hair types
- It will enhance your hair’s natural beauty
5. Best For Dry Hair: Tree To Tub Fragrance Free Shampoo
This is an affordable shampoo that offers ultra-gentle cleanse to sensitive scalps. Just like skin, hair needs an acidic pH of 5.5. That’s why this shampoo has Soapberry used for millennia which balances both hair and skin with a creamy and gentle lather.
Besides that, this shampoo is included with ingredients such as Chamomile, Aloe Vera, Argan Oil, and Olive Leaves which makes the hair look strong and shiny.
We are glad that this Shampoo is pure, gentle, wild, and natural. It is free from silicone, SLS, Sulfates, toxins, artificial fragrance, gluten, and DEA/MEA.
The best part of this Shampoo is that it is Vegan, Color Safe and sustainably harvested from the best ingredients.
This product is ideal for Kids, men, and women. Besides that, it supports all Hair Types including individuals with extra sensitive skin.
- Suitable for men, women, and kids
- Cruelty-Free, Silicone-free, Vegan and has No Artificial Fragrance
- Balances scalp and hair pH (5.5) with soothing Soapberry
- Infused with hydrating Aloe Vera, moisturizing Argan Oil, and Calming Chamomile
- Makes your hair looks healthy, shiny, and smooth
- Fragrance-Free and Pleasantly Unscented
- Safe and gentle
6. Best For Fine Hair: Garnier Whole Blends Gentle Shampoo
This versatile formula by Garnier works beautifully on your hair and scalps without leaving behind any residues. This formula is blended with Oat Milk and Rice Cream that will gently cleanse and it is known to be suitable for sensitive scalps and delicate hair.
It has anti-inflammatory powers and will gently draw away impurities while restoring shine.
The perfect blend of Rice Cream Extracts and Oat Milk brings to life our nourishing, wholesome care for weightless hair while keeping it conditioned and hydrated.
This formula is safe to use on all hair types, including sensitive scalps, color-treated hair, and dry skin. Besides that, it is completely fragrance-free.
This fragrance and sulfate-free shampoo is a sure bet if you are looking for a product that will not contribute to scalp discomfort.
- Gently cleanse making it suitable for sensitive scalps and delicate hair
- Paraben free and it is enriched with a natural blend
- Leaves soft hair that is weightlessly conditioned and hydrated
- Gently draws away impurities to restore shine
- Formula is blended with Oat milk that allows gently cleansing
7. Best Clarifying Formula: TheraNeem Scalp Therapy Shampoo
This Therapy Shampoo removes oil and dirt from the scalp and it is gentle enough to use every day. It is a clarifying formula that refreshes, tones, and cleanses sensitive scalp with organic extract and neem oil.
It is ideal for all hair types. Besides that, it will smooth and hydrate the hair, leaving it revitalized, shinier, and softer.
This Clarifying formula typically gently nourishes and cleans the scalp with peppermint oils and invigorates organic lemon oils to offer a natural scent. Besides that, this product has been lab-verified for the quality and purity of its ingredients.
This product is free of petrochemicals, parabens, gluten, and silicones and boosts the manageability and shine of the hair. It is safe for color-treated and highlighted hair, the shampoo is also free from silicones hence it will never cause product build-up.
Related: Best Hair Bleach
- Refreshes, tones, and cleanses the sensitive scalp
- Smooths and hydrates the hair leaving it shinier, softer and revitalized
- Adds strength and softness to the hair for a healthy look
- This formula is 100% vegan and it is verified to have quality ingredients
- Has organic aloe vera that hydrates and smoothes hair fiber
8. Best Fragrance-Free: CLn Gentle Shampoo for Sensitive Scalp
CLn Gentle Shampoo has been formulated to balance excess oil production and remove impurities from the hair while calming irritated scalps.
It will leave nothing behind other than a healthy-looking scalp and hair. Typically, this product is fragrance-free and does not have triclosan, parabens, or antibiotics.
This moisture-rich formula will efficiently cleanse hair and scalps. It is a special conditioner that is ideal for all hair types including fragile and fine hair. You can use this formula daily, as needed, in areas to be shaved or on wet hair.
It is ideal to use for scalps that are prone to flaking or itching caused by eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, and dryness. This lightweight milder formula will leave your hair clean and fresh.
- Lightweight milder formula perfect for everyday use
- Suitable for all hair types including fragile and fine hair
- Can be used for scalps that are prone to flaking and itching
- Contains no antibiotics, triclosan, and parabens
- Leaves hair clean and smelling fresh
9. Best For Sensitive Skin: Vanicream Free & Clear Hair Shampoo
Here is another Clear Hair Shampoo that is perfect for anyone looking for a cleansing formula made of natural ingredients. It is ideal for all hair types. You can use it daily.
This shampoo is free from common chemical irritants including formaldehyde releasers, formaldehyde, parabens, lanolin, masking fragrance, fragrance, dyes, and other preservatives.
This shampoo is going to control oily scalp. It will also help to remove scaling and flaking leaving your hair manageable and clean.
One great thing about this formula is that it is Gluten-free, Protein-free, Phosphate-free, Sulfate-free, and betaine-free. This product is Dermatologist tested.
It will remove most pesky build-up on the scalp to reveal shiny and bouncy hair. Besides that, this shampoo is gentle and mild, so you will never end up with a dry and dandruff scalp.
- Helps remove scaling and flaking
- Leaves hair manageable and clean
- Ideal for daily use
- Perfect for all hair types
- Phosphate-free, sulfate-free, gluten-free and protein-free
- Not a tearless shampoo
- Helps control oily scalp
- Dermatologist tested
10. Best For Color Treated Hair: Earth Science Shampoo for Sensitive Hair
Designed for all hair types, this Sensitive Hair shampoo is gentle and free of silicones, parabens, and other nasty ingredients.
It is made of coconut-based cleansers and has emollients that promote healthy scalp and hair and protect natural oils. It also has chamomile, jojoba, and wheat germ extract that leaves hair manageable and revitalized.
This Fragrance-Free shampoo is a solution for individuals with sensitive scalp or hair. It is a great choice for kids, men, and women to gently wash, nourish, and moisturize hair. You can use it daily in the bubble bath or shower.
This formula works perfectly with all hair types including color-treated hair and curly hair. It also works well for individuals with dandruff. Above all, it is suitable for children and safe for frequent use.
Plus it’s safe for frequent use and suitable for children.
- Keep your hair stronger and cleaner
- Leave your hair manageable and revitalized
- Cruelty-free and Paraben-free
- You can use it daily in the bubble bath or shower
- It works on all hair types
- Ideal for individuals with adverse fragrance reactions or sensitive scalp
How To Choose A Good Shampoo For Sensitive Scalp?
A sensitive scalp can have many effects, however, there are some steps that you can take into consideration to avoid aggravating the problem. If you have a sensitive scalp, here are key things to avoid.
Related: Best Hair Clips For Thick Hair
Choosing the Wrong Shampoo
You should avoid using a shampoo that is harsh on sensitive skin as it can dry out the scalp. Choose the one that is pH balanced, dye-free, and gentle enough to use every day and the one that will assist in fighting dandruff.
Washing Your Hair Too Often
If you have a sensitive scalp, frequently washing your hair can strip its natural oils hence drying out the scalp. This can lead the problem to become even worse.
After a couple of days, it is important to wash your hair with Aveeno Scalp Soothing Shampoo to keep dandruff under control and keep your scalp hydrated.
Taking Very Hot Showers
Try to avoid washing your hair with very hot water as it can irritate your scalp, making it more sensitive. Use cool and warm water to avoid drying out delicate scalp and hair.
Over-Styling Your Hair
It is important to use minimal styling products. This is because pastes and gels build-up at the hair roots, which can dry out or irritate a sensitive scalp.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is A Sensitive Scalp?
It is the onset of prickling, tingling, or burning sensations without or with pain or pruritus. It is triggered by several factors such as menstrual cycle, environmental conditions, diet, or using hair care products that have harsh detergents. That is why you need to select suitable conditioners and shampoos for sensitive scalp.
How Do You Know That You Have A Sensitive Scalp?
You will have some common symptoms of the sensitive scalp such as vague discomfort, dry scalp, burning, and stinging in the scalp. Therefore, if you have these problems, we advise you to consult your dermatologist to advise you.
Try one of the best shampoos for sensitive scalps listed above and you will make a positive change today.
These products are free of paraben, sulfate, chemical irritants, lanolin, and mineral oils, as these substances will worsen the scalp condition. They are safe to use and will leave your scalps and hair healthier and moisturized.